Friday 21 August 2015

Miss and Mr Tionge

The pageant underway
Time is flying by but every day, every week provides a variation of experiences and I am creating new memories daily. One unique experience that happened a few weeks ago was attending my first ever beauty pageant and it just happened to be in Zambia! I never expected myself to be attending a beauty pageant, let alone one in Zambia but I love every single moment of it. One of the students Nicole had previously held the role of Miss Newcastle and news of this soon spread through the Sport in Action office and was a hot talking point. Therefore she was personally invited by Nalu, one of the Sport in Action members of staff, to be a special guest judge and offer her expertise. I attended simply to support Nicole, plus this would probably be the only time ever I will be at a beauty pageant in Zambia, but on arrival I soon found myself on the panel of judges.

One of the contestants
The day was full of dancing, catwalks, eating competitions and talent competitions which was something Nicole and I both absolutely loved. The day gave us a very unique insight into another aspect of Zambian culture and loved the way each of the contestants put their all towards trying to gain the title of Miss and Mr Tionge. I loved the way that Zambian culture embraces singing and dancing and that all the children just wanted to get up and involved. Every time a song played, the audience got up dancing and just embraced everything about the day. However the moment I got dragged onto the stage it front of about 250 children was scary, especially when they expected me to dance. I done my best to bust a few moves, but for those who know me dancing isn’t my strongest point and I have to admit as nervous as I was I just got on with it and they seemed to love it!


Zambia teaches me things daily and as they say every day is a school day. Something I really want to take away from Zambia and my time is here is to be less worried about what other people think of me and to enjoy the moment I am in. I, for one, am shocking at dancing but getting up on stage in front of the audience was nerve wracking but I loved every moment. I love the variation of my weeks and that despite being here nearly two months, no one day has been the say. Zambia continues to deliver the unexpected, at placement and in our free time, and I couldn’t be happier.

The 2015 Miss Tionge benig crowned

No comments:

Post a Comment