Friday 21 August 2015

Conference, Wallace Tournament and the British High Commission...

I think I echo many of Group 2’s thoughts when I say the week of the Zambia National Sport Development Conference was without a doubt the busiest week we have experienced in Zambia so far but also one of the best. Having been here for two months now, the week of the conference was a little different, but I have welcomed the change and the opportunity to be part of what was a significant occasion for all those involved in sport both within Zambia and the UK. On Monday 27th and Tuesday 28th July we were all part of Zambia’s first ever National Sport Development Conference hosted at the OYDC. Prior to Zambia I had heard snippets of the programme and the people involved, but it wasn’t until the conference started that the magnitude and importance of this occasion became evident. It was amazing to see so many individuals present, with representatives from all 10 provinces across Zambia there as well as a number from the UK, all of who were there due to their shared love for sport for development in Zambia. Having sat through a number of presentations and panel discussions, the conference only re-affirmed my desire to carve myself a career within the international sport for development field and I met a number of individuals who have further inspired me on this career path. I am excited to hopefully one day play a part, no matter how big or small, in ensuring the recommendations from the conference that were proposed to the Minister of Youth and Sport, are implemented over the next 10 years.
The Conference underway

The rest of my week was split between assisting with planning for Group 2’s Wallace Tournament and hosting the UK delegates who were visiting Zambia. A moment that stood out for me during these few days was when we had the privilege of showing the UK delegates around the placement sites. Many of them had heard of Zambia, and were aware of IDEALS, but only a handful of them had ever seen the essence of IDEALS in action out in the heart of the community. This encounter, as we walked a group of them through Mtendere market and onto the netball court was mind-blowing. That moment when we walked around the corner to see the students leading a group of 50 children in Zambian songs, highlighted not only the value of IDEALS to each of the UK students who are out here volunteering, but the influence and impact the project is having to the children, the staff members and coaches and ultimately to the wider community. Sometimes you have to feel it first hand to ever truly understand it, and that was a moment when many of the UK delegates first fell in love with this incredible country and people.

Visiting the placement sites with the UK delegates
On Saturday the students delivered their Wallace Tournament and it was a fantastic end to what a been a more than memorable week for all. The students’ organisation and planning was evident to see as the fixtures and scheduling had all been done prior to the conference. Despite a venue change to Munali, the day was amazing and I loved the chance to walk around and see all the sports taking place to see the children really enjoying what they were part of. Yes it was competitive, very competitive at times but every child I spoke to, every team I watched demonstrated the value of the tournament and why it means so much to these children to be part of this, part of the ‘muzungos’ and their projects.

I can’t believe that not only is it half way through Group 2’s time in Zambia but I am now at the halfway mark of my time as a Team Leader. When applying for the project I had my preconceptions of what I would be doing and what I would be experiencing, and despite the ups and downs, I can honestly sit here hand on heart and say I absolutely love everything about being part of IDEALS. Every day is different, but every day I am creating new memories that will stay with me for the rest of my life. I am growing and developing into my role and it honestly is a privilege to be part of Group 2 and to help shape their IDEALS experience. The stories they share and the memories they already hold will always make me smile knowing that I played some sort of role in creating that. A privilege I don’t take for granted!

 
Evening drinks reception at the British High Commission with my ZamFam

No comments:

Post a Comment