Thursday 30 July 2015

Home From Home

As the days seem to fly by and my time in Zambia seems to be moving at quite some pace, I've started being asked the question about whether I miss home and more so whether I miss playing football. If I'm honest before coming to Zambia I was dreading taking a break from football; for as long as I can remember my evenings and weekends have been dominated by football, by training and by games and by days spent on the road travelling. I wasn't quite sure how I would deal with not playing or training properly for four months and whether not only would my ability be affected but my fitness and normal active routine of training.

Just look at that face
To some extent I do miss football, I miss my teammates, I miss coaching my girls, I miss being part of the Bristol Academy family. But as my time is being spent here being invested into something worthwhile, something of value, if I'm honest I couldn't wish to be anywhere else. I love Zambia, I love the culture and I love life here. Zambia is my home from home and I've never felt happier in such a place. The people are incredible, so full of joy and are always welcoming. The children are magical and any day that seems a little down or a little miserable can simply be lit up by seeing a smile on one of their faces. Every placement site I visit, every school I attend or even every street I walk down, I am greeted with a hello and a muzungo shout as people just want to talk to the 'white girl' and find out how I am.

Yes I miss my family and my friends but they say home is where the heart is and I know that no matter where I am in the world, or whatever adventure I am on, that my home will always be with me and the people I love. Zambia is amazing, it's scary to think I have been here nearly two months but I am so content with my life here, genuinely content with the way I spend each and every day.

My life motto for some time now has been, 'striving to live a life that makes a difference' and here in Zambia I feel that this can be worked towards. I feel that I am and can continue to add value to the people I meet, the programmes I support and the community I work in. Every day is spent out in the communities, coaching the children and all you need to do is look at their faces to know that we are making a difference, that the IDEALS students are changing lives.

Zambia is my home from home and I couldn't wish to be anywhere else. I'm content here, a feeling that has characterised my time so far and one I hope remains. Let the Zambia dream continue... #ZamFam


No comments:

Post a Comment