Thursday 16 July 2015

The Start of a New Chapter

As one chapter closes, a new one opens and Sunday marked that transition as we bid farewell to Group 1 and we welcomed Group 2 to Zambia. The past 6 weeks feels like they've flown by yet on the other hand I feel like I've been in Zambia quite some time. That time has been colourful, we've had our ups and downs, highs and lows, challenges and successes but overall I would confidently say that every student can look back upon their placement in Zambia with fondness! I have cried, smiled, laughed and cried some more but it's been a learning curve on many levels. When Steph and I arrived in Zambia on the 1st June, on my fronts we felt like students again, experiencing a new place as we took time to remember the bus routes, the local language and the culture. Zambia is different to how I remember and that's not always a bad thing but sometimes it's not always a positive thing; At times I've found that change difficult and although it's taken longer than hoped, I am learning daily to embrace the change, to embrace challenges and reflect upon Group 1 as a learning chapter. I now feel much better placed to support Group 2 through their experience, as I now feel very much settled in Zambia. 

I'm excited to use the past 6 weeks experience, challenges and successes to help make Group 2's experience the BEST it can be. On Sunday we welcomed 8 new students to Zambia to start an adventure of a lifetime and I'm excited to help shape that. Time to go out everyday and chase my dreams, remembering the reasons I decided to come back to the place I love the most. 

Our first official photo as Group 2 (minus Steph)

No comments:

Post a Comment