Monday 15 June 2015

'Learn to Inspire' School Baleuni

Yesterday marked two weeks in Zambia and part of me can't believe I have been here this long already, yet it also feels like time is flying by. I only have 16 weeks left which may seem like a long time but I know it'll fly by! As I wrote this last night I was sat under the most beautiful sunset reflecting on what has been a busy, challenging but rewarding week in Zambia. 

Learn to Inspire School in Baleuni, Zambia
On Friday I had the most amazing afternoon as I got to visit the school we had helped build in Baleuni. Ever since I returned from Zambia I have always had a heart to build or be part of building a school which acts as both an educational tool and a centre to train and inspire the next generation of sports leaders. And 6 months ago after what had been an eventful journey of highs and lows, we at the charity Umutima, made the decision to partner with Baleuni United Sports Academy to support them in completing their school. They had started to build a building about 5 years ago but due to lack of funds and no government support they had only completed the foundations and part of some walls... A building that was very much unusable was left. However with our financial support and commitment, the school over the past 6 months has been completed including the electrics, windows, roofing and an outside playground, changing what was once an empty and lifeless space to a bright, vibrant and welcoming building that come September will home a new intake of students. These individuals will receive a quality education as well as training to enable them to be world changers in their communities. 

To stand there in front of a building knowing that I played a part, albeit small, in making it happen felt incredible. Words struggle to articulate what I felt in that moment as I walked around the corner to see this building proudly bearing our charity logo, standing tall for all to see. To think that every mile in my John O'Groats to Land's End cycle in 2012 was worth the pain and effort to see this, our school, our place to inspire change. 

Proud to have been part of making this place possible
I am excited to start visiting this site regularly to help coach football and to also mentor those who currently work in that community. This place will act as another projects of mine whilst in Zambia and I am looking forward to what can be achieved in the next few months. As you can imagine I am on an absolute high after witnessing this and I just want to say thank you to all those who donated, who fundraised and joined us in seeing this dream fulfilled. This is our school, our place we have made possible and it looks amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment