Monday 1 June 2015

Goodbye England, it's onwards to Lusaka

Five years ago I came home from the trip of a lifetime in Zambia and vowed that one day I had to return... And guess what today is that day! To say I am excited would be an understatement, but the chance to spend four months in a country I love is the opportunity of a lifetime and I literally cannot wait. The past few weeks build up has been crazy, a mix of excitement coupled with apprehension as i finally get the chance to return to a place I call my home from my home. Somewhat in the way a bride wishes and wants for her wedding to day arrive, I have longed for this day ever since 2010 and now it's here. People have asked if I am nervous, and to some extent maybe. Not because of the task that's ahead of me but because of the subconscious expectations I have built. When visiting a new place you often return with a sense of awe, and wonder, and even now five years on everything about Zambia captivates me; the people, the culture, and the way of life. I'm nervous because I'm worried that my sense of awe may not be there, that I may get frustrated by change I hoped would have happened but hasn't but also saddened at some changes that may have happened that I don't like. A lot can change in five years in the same way I have changed and I am teaching myself to expect these things and to see Zambia as though it was for the first time. I think I have been away long enough that Zambia will still captivate me in the way it first did and the wonder and awe I have of Zambia will be as real as ever. I have also, in the build up to departing, taught myself to appreciate my 2010 experience in its own merit but to be prepared for something new, something different and something a little more challenging.
Brief stop in Dubai en route to Lusaka

I am unsure of what lies ahead, the different experiences I will encounter as a Team Leader rather than a student but all I know is that  I have longed for and wished for this day since 2010 and it has finally arrived. I'm returning to a place I love, to be part of a programme I truly believe in and I am excited at what can be achieved in four months. Yes at times it won't all be positive but I have this opportunity to do something different, to give myself to something greater and I can't wait to see that unfold. So England it's goodbye, I will see you in October but for now it's onwards to Lusaka and to what is going to be the summer of a lifetime. I literally cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment