Friday 5 July 2013

It’s the Final Countdown

Thursday 4th July

Union Jack bunting hanging with pride
in our accomodation corridor 
One more day until we start our quest for gold and this time tomorrow I will hopefully be writing about our first victory over Brazil! Today was a more chilled and relaxed day now that we have begun to adapt to life in the village. Team GBR were officially welcomed into the village today and our flag is now flying high with pride for all to see.  Unfortunately we missed this morning’s ceremony due to training but I am sure all of the athletes which did attend on behalf of Team GBR made us proud, singing the national anthem with passion.
Our main man Gilbert #umutima

Today we also had the chance to meet our team attaché who is a student volunteer and guess what he is from ZAMBIA! For those who know me you will understand why this makes me excited but for those who don’t Zambia is what I call my home from home; a country that holds a very special place in my heart. I was quite gutted I couldn’t go back to Zambia this summer but being able to wake up in Russia and say ‘Muli Bwanji’ to our main man Gilbert makes me smile. He is one of thousands of volunteers who give up their time and effort to make the Games possible and I am so glad he is with us. It’s like the best of both worlds together – football and Zambia in one place! I am going to have to start practicing my Zambian words again so each day I can make conversation with him. The simple things in life put a smile on my face and make me happy :)

Cruising around the village in style with Naomi
We also had the chance today during a few free hours this afternoon to explore the village and see all it had to offer. My childish side definitely emerged as we discovered the village provided bikes for athletes to use to travel around so we thought it would be rude if we didn’t utilise this service. I felt a little immature but it was good fun to relax with the girls. We even visited the lounge-zone in the village which I am sure we will be visiting regularly to relax and take some time out.
In the lounge-zone with the girls

Early night followed, feet up, and a chance to relax at a film night hosted in our HQ. The choice was ‘Remember the Titans’ as apparently it was a good motivational film and I am glad to say it did not disappoint. I left the ‘cinema’ a little emotional but inspired by the ability to overcome obstacles and challenges that are often put in front of you not only in life but on the pitch – something I am sure will become very apparent during the tournament. Lights out soon followed as the final countdown until our first game of the tournament has begun...
Meeting other athletes in the village

No comments:

Post a Comment